Tuesday, September 1, 2009

STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS



When green bell peppers come into season, I make stuffed green peppers and freeze them for in the winter when it is cold, snowy outside and we just want a hot meal.

This is something my m-i-l taught me a long time ago and is oh so simple.
Just make spaghetti, however you would. I did these with bottled spaghetti sauce only because it was a time issue. I would prefer to make my own sauce, but I always keep a jar of this on hand in case I don't have all the ingredients and don't want to make a trip to town.
Combine all your ingredients, cut the tops off the peppers (I save the tops for something else). Clean out the inside and fill as full as possible. If the peppers are fresh, I bake them in the oven for about an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours along with a baked potato.
Yes, this can be done in the microwave, just so the pepper is fully cooked.
When they are frozen, I will thaw them in the microwave and then cook them until the peppers are fully cooked.
When the peppers are done, I top them with cheddar cheese and melt it.
It is a good hearty meal..... YUMMO....
Yeah, see that big slice of tomato, too bad you don't find those in the winter! Garden fresh!!! Well, I guess I should say, you wouldn't find one of those in the winter in Illinois!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! Those look great... I've never had them with spaghetti noodles and meatballs. I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this. I have lots of beautiful peppers with several already chopped & frozen. What a great idea. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a turkey brat and a big ol' fat tomater fer lunch...don't git much better'n this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaahhhh, stuff-ed peppers!
    My mom made them with hamburger, corn, rice, some sort of tomato-y sauce, onion and covered the whole works with cheese. Haven't had one since I was about 9 years old!

    Nothing out of our garden, this year. I donated it all to the Grasshopper Growth Fund...unwillingly, at that! C'est la vie, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have enough for one more...
    It looks wonderful!
    Barb C.

    ReplyDelete