Saturday, October 24, 2009

APPLE PIE FILLING

Every Fall around September/October, I beg apples off of friends (I don't have apple trees, but know several people that do) and make apple pie filling to use throughout the year. The recipe is absolutely delicious. It is better with tart apple as opposed to a sweet eating apple. I don't know what kind I get from who, I just know they are a little tart. This year everybody got some kinda something and all the apples have black spots on them, but the inside is just as good as ever.

I hate to say it, but this is a long process (actually I should say, it is a long process for me!)

First, I clean my apples and get everything out and set up.
A large bowl for sliced apples with lemon juice in the water and a discard bowl.

(Everything is messy because by the time I took the pics, I had already made one batch of filling.)


An apple peeler/corer sure makes the job go faster and I like the size of slices.



After I have all the apples sliced, I pour them in a huge heavy pot (a heavy pot will keep them from burning)
Then I mix together the sugar, flour and spices and pour on top of apples.


Add on top, the lemon juice and stir everything together, coating all the apples.
Cook the apples until the mix starts to thicken. I let this slowly come to a low boil, stirring so apples don't stick. Maybe 20 minutes start to finish. If the mix is too dry and the apples are not producing enough juice, I will add enough water to be able to stir them; maybe 2 cups.... not too much though.
After the apple filling is cooled, I bag it in seal-a-meal bags and seal them. I think this keeps it from getting ice crystals in it. I measure out 4-5 cups in each bag. That is what my pie recipe calls for. (Recipe to follow)
I have started using a scale thanks to BUTTER YUM... I love her blog and she did a post on why using a scale is good and so I splurged and got a scale..... Go to her blog, just don't go there hungry!!!
It took me from 10am - 7:30pm, I did 4 batches. I now have enough in the freezer for 10 apple pies and it is soooo much better than store bought!
YUMMMMM-O!!!
APPLE PIE FILLING RECIPE
6 lb. apples
1 1/2 C. sugar (maybe less, depends on how tart apples are)
1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 tes. cinnamon
1/4 tes. nutmeg
2 tes. lemon juice
Mix sugar, flour and spices. Set aside.
Peel and core apples.
Add mix to apples in a big pot.
Add lemon juice.
Let sit for 30 minutes. (I don't do this step, not enough time in a day to do this. I just add some water for the juice)
Cook until begin to thicken. Cool. Freeze.
I have heard of people canning this in a hot water bath.
I have given this recipe to several people and everyone seems to just rave about it.
Try it and let me know what you think!!!!
Happy Autumn!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lori - wow... can you guess how surprised I was to read this post? :)

    You're so sweet to mention my blog! And a huge Congrats on your scale!!! Your are going to LOVE IT! Did I mention it saves on dirty dishes? Yes it does... you just dump to weigh, no measuring cups and spoons get dirty :).

    So tell me, when you use the thawed apples in a pie, do they hold their shape? We love apple pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those apple peelers too. And I use them for potatoes too. It's a great NaNa's helper's job!

    cher

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how do you store it, do you put it in plastic bags? I don't have to do any canning right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been boo'd! Stop by my blog and see!

    cher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking I need to invest in an apple peeler/slicer/corer/coffeemaker/copymachine thingamajig like that! It all but rolls out your pie crust! How nifty.

    I love apple pie, but this filling would work for turnovers, cakes and everything, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete